Home UserCP Memberlist Register Calendar FAQ
Home

Go Back   Redline Superbike > Motorcycle Related Discussion > General Motorcycle Discussion
Redline Superbike @ Facebook

Old 09-16-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
Oliver

Carb Tuning

Old Skoolers, I need some of your wisdom from the time before bikes were tuned via USB port.

The wife's 400 is having trouble getting on the mains in the top two gears. She says it's not a problem in the low gears. It currently has 95's in the mains and the clip set at the third notch from the top of 6. Bike has a full exhaust and k&n filter in the airbox if that make any difference.

I'm good with taking stuff apart and putting it back together but I don't know much about tuning out a problem. Any advice on where to go? I have 92.5 and 97.5 mains in the garage
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:15 PM   #2
Paragon

Motorcycle(s): Trumpets and Katooms
Sounds like it is fucked... You should probably just sell it to me and be done with it

I'll see if I can find any of my old FZR400 tuning binders... but to clarify, will it just not pull full throttle in 5-6 gear? Falls on its face like it is running out of gas? Float levels are properly adjusted? Carbs are clean and valves are in spec? if so, I'd bump it up to the bigger mains and see what happens.
Paragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:57 PM   #3
Oliver

It's only a 5 speed so 4 & 5 that are struggling.

What would I do the check that the float level is proper?
Old 09-16-2012, 09:34 PM   #4
Paragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
It's only a 5 speed so 4 & 5 that are struggling.

What would I do the check that the float level is proper?
Well, I would say that your bigger problem, assuming we are talking about the Fizzer 400 is that you're missing your 6th gear (I actually have a close ratio 6 speed gear set under my bench for an FZR400)

http://www.fzronline.com/forum/viewt...t=6215&start=0

Clear as mud? Your best bet is to find the oldest guy in the pits, and ask him.. A bikini top will help, unless you're wearing it.

Last edited by Paragon; 09-16-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:47 AM   #5
Oliver

It's been a while since I rode the bike so maybe I'm off on the gears... My xr has been getting all the love this summer.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:05 AM   #6
Paragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
It's been a while since I rode the bike so maybe I'm off on the gears... My xr has been getting all the love this summer.
Just messing with ya

but seriously, if it is lean it should feel like it wants to pull to redline, but will buck and surge. If the floats are too low it will actually feel like it is just running out of gas (which it is). IIRC, we'd set the floats 2mm higher that stock spec for race applications. Having not owned or raced an FZR 400 since the early 90's, my memory is hazy on all the details, but if that SoCal dude is still around, I'll bet he has some good FZR400 tips.