Home UserCP Memberlist Register Calendar FAQ
Home

Go Back   Redline Superbike > Redline Community > Anything Goes
Redline Superbike @ Facebook

Old 08-09-2009, 01:42 PM   #1
GixxerChris

Motorcycle(s): 2K1 GSXR 600 Blue/White
Unhappy HELP!!!! Stator Problem.

well my stator went bad again and I just don't know what is causing it. I just relpaced the damn thing this past April or May and the damn wiresburned thru again only a few months later. The rotor has an area where it looks to have been welded/attached. is this supposed to be there? Any idea what keeps causing this to happen? this would be the third time I will have to replace the stator. At around $160 I would hate to have to keep replacing this thing every few moths.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0809091359.jpg (79.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 0809091400.jpg (71.9 KB, 12 views)
GixxerChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 02:28 PM   #2
six2one

i have never had a stator problem on a bike...but u should contact this guy...

http://www.jetskisolutions.com/c1_st...nufacture.html

he is a goddamn genius and is one of the ONLY people i have EVER heard of that can rebuild them! he makes them better than oem (recoils, better wires, makes it tougher)

i am completely unsure if he can do a bike (he has a special machine he uses to balance them out) but he can sure as fuck do a jetski....call him and ask..
six2one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 02:32 PM   #3
six2one

also....if u keep burning this thing out we should probably start to look for another cause cause this doesnt make sense (its not a honda...LOL DAVE)

check your flywheel....and the area where the wire lays...something is getting hella hot or its outputting too much and its asploding the copper
six2one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 03:08 PM   #4
GixxerChris

what's the flywheel? The service manuel I have does not have anything about a "flywheel". Are you talking about the rotor, the thing that spins around the stator?
Old 08-09-2009, 04:44 PM   #5
Nine29

Replace you're stator and check the regulator/rectifier and the wire harness connections for burned or melted wires. Also check your ground connection to the block for corrosion. If it were me, I'd replace the stator and R/R with OEM parts, and put in a new battery, after checking the harness and grounds.

This problem is all too common on Hondas...

Last edited by Nine29; 08-09-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Nine29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:44 PM   #6
Headlight

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Yamaha R1 (Sold), 2006 Yamaha R1 - Blue (Wrecked), 2006 Yamaha R1 - Yellow, 2016 Yamaha R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GixxerChris View Post
what's the flywheel? The service manuel I have does not have anything about a "flywheel". Are you talking about the rotor, the thing that spins around the stator?
Yes the flywheel spins around the stator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreen View Post
Of course when a reasonable counterpoint to your unreasonable complaint is given, you "don't want to argue about it anymore".
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." -- Albert Einstein
Headlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:15 PM   #7
GixxerChris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine29 View Post
Replace you're stator and check the regulator/rectifier and the wire harness connections for burned or melted wires. Also check your ground connection to the block for corrosion. If it were me, I'd replace the stator and R/R with OEM parts, and put in a new battery, after checking the harness and grounds.

This problem is all too common on Hondas...
I checked the R/R and it looked fine and tested good according to the specs in the service manuel. Any idea where the ground to the block is usually located?
Old 08-09-2009, 10:14 PM   #8
DemonRR

Motorcycle(s): 2007 gsxr600 Track/Street
Send a message via Yahoo to DemonRR
yup, honda has an issue with burnign stators and extended a warranty for all 04/05 bikes till 2011. i also read on a gixxer site, they are also having the same issues honda is having. iirc, there is a recall/tsb for the gixxer guys about the stator. also, its a good idea to replace the flywheel and stator at the same time. some of the honda guys were only replacing the stator and not the flywheel, only to have it burn out in under 1000 miles.

the gixxer site was either gixxer.com or gsxr.com. if you search my s/n, i made a post in the thread.

hope this helps
DemonRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:25 PM   #9
fasterbusa

Motorcycle(s): 99 Hayabusa
Do not forget that Scott can probably help you with this.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:13 AM   #10
Nine29

Quote:
Originally Posted by GixxerChris View Post
I checked the R/R and it looked fine and tested good according to the specs in the service manuel. Any idea where the ground to the block is usually located?
I'm not familiar with Gixxers, but try following the negative lead and go from there. Typically with the Hondas (VFR, CBR), if you replace the R/R, stator, and battery (cells can go bad) with OEM replacements the problem gets resolved. Most repeated failures come from not replacing all the parts at the same time and/or using aftermarket replacements.
Nine29 is offline   Reply With Quote