Home UserCP Memberlist Register Calendar FAQ
Home

Go Back   Redline Superbike > Motorcycle Related Discussion > Bike of the Month
Redline Superbike @ Facebook

Unread 12-15-2012, 09:40 AM   #1
Headlight

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Yamaha R1 (Sold), 2006 Yamaha R1 - Blue (Wrecked), 2006 Yamaha R1 - Yellow, 2016 Yamaha R1
Nominees - January Bike of the Month

Ok, so I'm a little behind, well let's not BS a LOT behind on getting this posted.

You can nominate either your own or other members' bikes.

What is needed to enter:
*Nominee must be an active member of Redline Superbike web forum.
*Pictures of the nominated bike must be included in the nomination post.
*Reason why you feel the nominated bike would be a good Redline Bike of the Month.
*Description of the bike and a list of its mods.
*You can only win once per year.

Good luck to all the nominees!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreen View Post
Of course when a reasonable counterpoint to your unreasonable complaint is given, you "don't want to argue about it anymore".
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." -- Albert Einstein
Headlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
AlmightyS
El Cheapo Bastarido!!!

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Couch dirt-tracker edition
I think it's time to give this a rest till April

Sent from my iPhone while trying to drive in one lane.

No one on this earth looks out for you like yourself... Failure to do that, and you fail yourself!

The only excuse you have is the one you make.
AlmightyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2012, 08:25 PM   #3
ClutchRyder

Motorcycle(s): 07 Kawi zx14, CRF 50...and when the girlfriend isnt looking, her Yamaha fz6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmightyS View Post
I think it's time to give this a rest till April

Sent from my iPhone while trying to drive in one lane.
has every paying member won this year yet? lol.. at least the ones that attend meetings??
ClutchRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 07:46 AM   #4
stupafied

Motorcycle(s): 2001 gsxr
you have to be a member to put your bike in?
stupafied is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 09:17 AM   #5
DOVERB
aka The Polar Bear

Motorcycle(s): 99 SUZUKI SV650
Quote:
Originally Posted by stupafied View Post
you have to be a member to put your bike in?
A member of the forum as stated above.

Avoiding the ass rape from an unknown location using my iphin!
DOVERB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 09:50 AM   #6
SuprChey

Motorcycle(s): A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchRyder View Post
has every paying member won this year yet? lol.. at least the ones that attend meetings??
Duh.

Director of Fisting and Distribution, M.M.
SuprChey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 10:51 AM   #7
Zepp

Motorcycle(s): 10 Concours 14 ABS, 09 Yamaha R6, 04 Gsxr 750
Quote:
Nope
Zepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 11:41 AM   #8
Remo

Motorcycle(s): FZ09
2004 Yamaha R1

Mods:
- Hot-Bodies flush mounts
- JPR shorty levers
- T-Rex frame sliders
- Vortex swing-arm spools
- Sportech Windscreen
- Corbin seat
- Scorpio Alarm
- K&N

This is a rather long story but it accurately details the time from when I first saw the bike I wanted to when I was finally able to get the bike that I wanted. Anyways...

This is the bike that made me want to get into street bikes. Back when this bike first came out I was too young to even drive, but I was already an avid ATV rider at the time. I remember going to Pilgrim Motorsports (Plymouth Motorsports) for ATV parts and seeing the 2004 R1 in the showroom back in 2004 when the body style was new. I did not know anything about motorcycles at the time but that bike caught my eye. Fast forward to 2008, a couple of my buddies bought street bikes. I really wanted a bike like the one I seen at Pilgrim years ago but I quickly learned that I did not have the finances or the experience to purchase such a bike. So, I ended up settling for a 1997 CBR F3. My F3 was dangerous to say the least, the brakes barely worked, it had some serious suspension travel, the turn signals did not work, and it had some carb issues. I rocked it for the summer of 2008 but I knew it had to get rid of it asap.

Spring 2009 came, I got rid of my CBR immediately, it ended up catching on fire the next day after I sold it. I wanted to replace it with another 600 but found a heck of a deal on a 2000 R1 in my travels. I only had like 2,000 street miles under my belt at that time but I bought the R1 anyways. The R1 was in much better shape than my old CBR was, it had brakes, working turn signals, tight suspension, started every time that I needed it to, and was more aesthetically pleasing. I finally had a decent bike and it made me a more confident rider. I rocked the 2000 R1 for the next 3 seasons, it treated me good, I learned a lot, and rode a lot.

Finally in 2011 I was ready for something newer, I had a little more money to spend this time around and I began to look for the 04-06 style R1 I had always wanted. I looked around all summer, but I just couldn't find one that I liked within my price range. Then in September I stumbled upon a oddly listed 2004 R1 on Craigslist, I thought it was a scam at first because of how it was listed and the listing did not have a phone ###, but the price was not oddly unrealistic so I emailed the seller. A couple days passed and I did not get a reply. I checked to see if the listing was still up there, it was, so I emailed the seller again, this time I included my phone ### . The next day I finally get a phone call about the R1, to my surprise it was an older woman, which at first seemed odd until she informed me that it was her son's bike whom had recently passed away.

She was able to show the bike that day, I had time so I headed out to the St. Clair County International Airport to have a look. I made my way through the gate and to the hanger where the bike sat. This was no scam, in front of me sat a 2004 R1 that looked like it just rolled out of the showroom with only 1,000 miles on it. I had all my gear with me and after looking the bike over thoroughly, I headed out on a test drive. Yep, I finally found my new bike. Back to the hanger to wheel and deal. I shot her an offer, she came back with a good counter offer, plus the bike came with stands and a bunch of other bike related gizmos. We made a deal, unfortunately I could not pick the bike up that day due to not having any cash on me or a way to get my car and bike home.

The next week was really busy but I was able to head back out to the Airport later in the week, as promised I delivered the cash and picked up my bike. It came with a lot of paperwork including the original sales/purchase receipt for the bike from Pilgrim Motorsports in Plymouth, MI which I thought was pretty neat considering this was the place where I first became interested in this exact bike. I think this would make a good bike of the month because it represents how many of us start out as riders. We start out on what we can afford and what we can handle, then work our way up to what we want.

The first pic is of the bike in the airport hanger the first time I went to go look at it, the rest are all from this year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-09-24_19-29-19_329.jpg (79.4 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg 20121004_165323.jpg (146.6 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg 20121004_165314.jpg (145.9 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg 20120505_183341.jpg (146.6 KB, 91 views)

Last edited by Remo; 12-16-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Remo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 01:20 PM   #9
EJFudd

Motorcycle(s): 15 GSXR 1000, 15 Ninja 1000, 12 GSXR 750
Great read. I always liked this style, and just may end up with one someday. My old CBR600RR started off as a friend passing away, tears, discussions and conversation thereafter as we walked past it.
EJFudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 04:56 PM   #10
Penthos
The Human Google

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R ...was...
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepp View Post
Nope
Ditto. I like being incognito though.

Sent from my Verizon Droid Charge 4gLTE
Penthos is offline   Reply With Quote