Home UserCP Memberlist Register Calendar FAQ
Home

Go Back   Redline Superbike > Redline Community > Anything Goes
Redline Superbike @ Facebook

Old 07-21-2017, 08:58 AM   #1
AlmightyS

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Couch dirt-tracker edition
Insurance question/opinion

Curious in people's thoughts on the topic of when to reduce insurance coverage from full to just standard PLPD and essentially dropping the comp/collision

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No one on this earth looks out for you like yourself... Failure to do that, and you fail yourself!

The only excuse you have is the one you make.
AlmightyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:49 AM   #2
bbancsov

Motorcycle(s): 03 RSV-R, 98 SuperHawk & 79 XS 650 Cafe
As soon as the bike is paid off
bbancsov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:51 AM   #3
AlmightyS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbancsov View Post
As soon as the bike is paid off

But if you had a value of let's say 10k, you'd be willing to take that at a total loss on a car or bike?

No one on this earth looks out for you like yourself... Failure to do that, and you fail yourself!

Old 07-21-2017, 11:09 AM   #4
Deagle10

Motorcycle(s): 2014 FJR, 2005 Zuma, 2003 VTX1800
Depends if your bike is a $10k bike or a $2k bike, and how often and hard you ride it.

I keep good coverage on my 2014 FJR, but had minimal insurance on my Honda Shadow, because the Shadow wasn't worth much and rarely drove it. Also it was hard to get into speed type trouble on the Shadow. The VTX1800 I keep fully insured because I'm riding it weekly, even though the value is minimal.

Steve, not sure how often you ride the Kawi with that big boat also taking up your Summer plans. If it is just sitting might not be a bad idea to put the minimum on but bump it to full coverage for the week of Deals Gap.
Deagle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:11 PM   #5
AlmightyS

More so thinking of this on our second car as well as its value is probably 5k at best and don't think the Kawie is worth much more maybe 6k. It's the car that I am most pondering as the bike insurance is only 500/yr full coverage.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:07 PM   #6
bbancsov

Motorcycle(s): 03 RSV-R, 98 SuperHawk & 79 XS 650 Cafe
How much do you stand to save if you remove full coverage? There needs to be a gap assessment, break out the excel sheet!
bbancsov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 02:10 PM   #7
sprink

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ulysses
I've kept collision on cars with low value because the savings of dropping it were so small. Since we never had a claim, it was money lost though.
Did find that if you are not at fault, the other drivers insurance will pay out. Got most of my car paid for by a fender bender....
sprink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 01:50 PM   #8
MilleArp

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300GT, 2015 S1000R
I bought my bikes cash, but still have full coverage on the 2009 K1300GT.

That aside, everyone be sure to carry uninsured/under-insured coverage on your bikes! MI no-fault ins law does not recognize motorcycles as "motor vehicles", and as such you aren't eligible to PIP med ins if you get hurt on 2.
Costs about 80-/yr for $100,000-.
MilleArp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:12 PM   #9
EJFudd

Motorcycle(s): 15 GSXR 1000, 15 Ninja 1000
I'll tell you a recent story..

I insured a 2008 Chevy COBALT in MI for about $125/month. It was the highest of my fleet due to the fact the cars total themselves on a pot hole. It was low miles, excellent, and my daughters car.

I moved to Ohio and transferred the policy here, and it changed to about $40/month, full coverage.

Finally time to let my 28 year old daughter now in the medical field pay her way, she takes the car title, and insures it for PLPD along with her new car back in Michigan due to cost.

Her and Fiancee go to dinner, spend money, get housing. Fiancee totals the Cobalt. No money. Kids struggle to scrap up money for a cheap car, or dig deeper in debt paying the $2000 more a dealer wants because he finances.

Both sides of the story. Sorta like a Prius, in the sense that the Prius without hybrid option (not available) would cost much less.......YOUR FINANCING GASOLINE.

SO, Your financing your down payment on the next car with full coverage. This applies to a value up to 6K IMHO. I agree for a value of $10K, you may wish to fully cover it. I generally covered cars and bikes over 5K real value, and PLPD anything else.

You must ask what is the realistic value of the vehicle, and do you have $2K or so available now to get out of trouble if the asset is lost.

Oh, and I used to pay $730/Month in Michigan to insure my fleet, it is $290 in Ohio with better coverage. Don't be bullshit into believing it is a good idea to pay that kind of money (MI rates, #1 USA) for any reason.
EJFudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:34 AM   #10
AlmightyS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbancsov View Post
How much do you stand to save if you remove full coverage? There needs to be a gap assessment, break out the excel sheet!

lol I've lost my love for excel macros
I'm going to talk to my agent and see what the cost difference might be. With the car worth 4-5k at best in a sunny day and diminishing value annually, I might just bump up my deductible a bit for now. We just bought a new car and will have that paid off in about 24 months so might wait a bit since I am not as flush as I'd like to be