Home UserCP Memberlist Register Calendar FAQ
Home

Go Back   Redline Superbike > Redline Community > Anything Goes
Redline Superbike @ Facebook

Old 03-08-2011, 03:48 PM   #1
tikki50

Motorcycle(s): 2008 R6, XR100, TTR50, yf60
Push button start sucks!

Well the crap just keeps piling up for me. It's almost to the point of ridiculous. My son knocked a glass of water over and got the key fob wet to our SRX. My car now randomly opens the truck and closes it, lock/unlocks the doors, sounds the alarm and will not start. Fucking great. This happens about every other minute, yes my alarm is constantly going off. When I get in the car with both remotes it says "no remote detected" the car is dead and wont start. So I gave the wet key (which I dried with a blow dryer too) to my MIL and sent her home with it, problem solved, for now. This will be the last car with remote start. I can't have my wife stranded because a key fob got wet. Actually this option is just a pain the ass. Did you know once the car is started you can walk off with the key and someone can drive away without any keys, thats fucked up. I just want a damn key to start my car please not all this crap. I took it to a chevy dealer they wouldnt touch the key fob its 600$ so they said visit a Cadillac dealer.
tikki50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:56 PM   #2
Apps

Motorcycle(s): 1997 Suzuki RF900R, 2009 Buell XB12R FIrebolt
Sounds like an aftermarket remote start. Even with my aftermarket system though, if you touch the brake without a key in the ignition, it will shut off. If your fob wasn't in range of the car wouldn't it do the same?
Apps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:46 PM   #3
Penthos
The Human Google

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R ...was...
I understand your concern. On my Jeep it has push-button start and I really like the ease it offers.

If your SRX is like my Jeep you can actually remove the push-button switch out of the dash and then the use key only.
Penthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:24 PM   #4
Mudpuppy

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha R1 50th Anniversary Edition
dude are you having ANY luck lately? mfp! you must be about to win the lottery or something cuz you have had a terrible run of luck..
Mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:50 PM   #5
motoboy

Motorcycle(s): 03' GSXR 1000 / 10' Kawaski Concours
I'm surprised your fab got nuked from water spilled on it. Those things are o-ringed and pretty weather resistant. Anyways, dunk the key fab in alcohol. The water mixes with the alcohol and evaporates. This dried out my cell phone when it got wet. Will probably do the same for you. What do you have to loose except $600 for a new one.

Remote start is the BOMB. Will not have another car without it. If you start the car and forget, the car shuts off automatically after 15min. Can't put the car in gear without the key in the ignition. As was mentioned, touch the brake and the car shuts off unless the key is in and on.

good luck

mb.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:09 PM   #6
Remo

Motorcycle(s): Yamaha's
Hmm, if it was going that crazy I would have just yanked the battery out of the key fob.

And I agree with you, I hate that f*#king push button start. My parents had an STS with it and they thought it was the best thing ever. Wayy too expensive and not really that much more convenient, how lazy can one be that they can't even put a key in an ignition and turn it?
Remo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:13 PM   #7
DemonRR

Motorcycle(s): 2007 gsxr600 Track/Street
Send a message via Yahoo to DemonRR
was this a factory, already installed option? i work at a "gm" facitliy, i could ask around tomorrow. IIRC, remote starts are included wiht most new gm vehicles. you will need a new key fob (125.00 guesstimate) and then it needs to be programed (about another 75-100). dont forget any and all keys need to be broguht to the dealership to be reprogrammed. oh, and this is a dealer only fix. unless someone has the special scan tool i forgot the name, sorry).
DemonRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:30 PM   #8
tikki50

Motorcycle(s): 2008 R6, XR100, TTR50, yf60
It's a factory remote that's what pisses me off, they have a key insert for the door only so water can easily get inside.

Thanks mud, I didn't even bother bringing up my exploding dishwasher that blew up water all over the kitchen and rained in the basement Sunday night. These last few weeks have been very trying on us, I'm not sure what I did to deserve this but the man up above is pissed at me for something!
tikki50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:34 PM   #9
DemonRR

Motorcycle(s): 2007 gsxr600 Track/Street
Send a message via Yahoo to DemonRR
open the key fob case wiht a dime or something. pull the battery. take the toehr fob out to the car and see if it will start. if not, you have to get the car, and all keys/fobs to a dealership. youll have to puircjhance a new fob (water one toss out), program both fobs, then drive away.

if you can start the car, then your in better luck as you';; only need to replace the bad fob, take the car and both keys/fobs to get reprogramed.
DemonRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:53 PM   #10
Remo

Motorcycle(s): Yamaha's
Have you tried the other fob (the one that didn't get wet) to see if that one will work?

Also, if you can get into the vehicle, I would try disconnecting the battery for 15-20, possibly over night if you have the time. Maybe that will help your cause...
Remo is offline   Reply With Quote