Home UserCP Memberlist Register Calendar FAQ
Home

Go Back   Redline Superbike > Motorcycle Related Discussion > Track Riders
Redline Superbike @ Facebook

Unread 06-17-2012, 07:46 AM   #1
motochica

Motorcycle(s): SV 650N
first track day help

I'm heading out to Grattan for the ladies only track on friday june 29th. i've never been there and not sure what to expect or what I'll need. A friend from Chicago is meeting me in Grand Rapids on Thursday but she's only going to be a spectator on Friday.

I'm riding out there so my cargo space is very limited (especially since the Givi cases won't show up till I get back )

So the questions i have:
1) what non- bike stuff do i need to pack?
2) is there water avbl on the track?
3) food? how's the lunch break work? can I run and get food, or do I need to bring a lunch or is there food avbl at the track?
4) what's the normal milage for the day for novice? I figure i can do about 150mi per tank that day (usually i get around 180mi when commuting to work)
5) gas - will i need to fill up during the day? is there fuel at the track or do i need to haul my own?

anything else i should know? i feel like i'm ill prepared for this an that i'll get there and it'll be a total clusterfuck of resources prepared, but a blast on the track none the less.

thx for the help
motochica is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2012, 08:35 AM   #2
DemonRR

Motorcycle(s): 2007 gsxr600 Track/Street
Send a message via Yahoo to DemonRR
you should really find a tow vehicle to get there. what "if" you crash and are unable to ride, or the bike is unridable. then what?

i think theirs gatoraid in the novice group class room area. thats it. you should bing 1/2 case of water, and at least 5 gatoraids.

lunch, they had lunch available last time for a fee.

gas, bring 5 gallons, as you really dont want to be on the track with a full tank. full tank weights alot, vs a 1/2 tank or 2 gallons at a time. your going to be keepig the revs up more and more as the day goes on.

you want an ezup and chairs to keep cooler than being right out in the sun. cooler with water/gatoraide, food, snacks, gear, extra gas prob gonna need it), some basic tools (not needed, everyone there will have what you might need. i also bring extra oil, brake fluid, visor cleaner to get the bugs off, chain lube, sweat towel. theres alot more that i bring, but i like to com prepared and bring eveything that i might need in case "something" happens.

gear, see STT's site for novice requirements.
DemonRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2012, 09:16 AM   #3
Paragon

Motorcycle(s): Trumpets and Katooms
Since this is your first track day... If you are going to ride there (totally doable), then you are going to want to bring the bare necessities. A camelback full of water, and snacks would be a great start. I would bring dry undergarments to change into for the ride home. I would also fill up my bike close to Grattan (I wouldn't put Grattan track gas in my lawn mower, BEWARE!). Unless you turn out to be the bastard offspring of Giacomo Agostini, the weight difference between a full and 1/2 tank is meaningless. A full tank should easily get you through a Novice track day. The best thing you can do is when you get to the track, is immediately befriend someone with an easy-up, and the full track day spread. This is pretty easy as generally, people at the track are very friendly.
Paragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2012, 09:33 AM   #4
Viginti

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha YZF-R6S
EVERYONE had a small round adjustable fan that they set their helmet on between sessions to dry the inside. Since you can't take a fan see if you can easily pop the liner out of your helmet to set in the sun to dry.

I agree with Demon though about towing. I know people ride out there and I'm sure it's fine but I would at least have a plan B just in case the bike ends up unrideable.

For lunch I'd have your friend go and get or bring lunch with her.

If she's got a car why not give her a little cash to grab one of those styrofoam coolers from a gas station and load it with water and gatorade?

Good luck and have fun!
Viginti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2012, 10:02 AM   #5
DemonRR

jerry, i can tell when im on the track with a full tank, vs approx 2gallons, and before my light turns on. especially after the jump hump and thru the "S's" and T8.

theres a few ppl i know that will be coaching. id say pm him, but alas he is no longer here.
Unread 06-17-2012, 10:06 AM   #6
EJFudd

Motorcycle(s): 15 GSXR 1000, 15 Ninja 1000, 17 Z900
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonRR View Post
jerry, i can tell when im on the track with a full tank, vs approx 2gallons, and before my light turns on. especially after the jump hump and thru the "S's" and T8.

theres a few ppl i know that will be coaching. id say pm him, but alas he is no longer here.
Crap first.
EJFudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2012, 10:08 AM   #7
DemonRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJFudd View Post
Crap first.
speaking of that, MI word of advise, use the bathrooms before it gets hot. lets just say i warned ya.
Unread 06-17-2012, 10:44 AM   #8
Paragon

Motorcycle(s): Trumpets and Katooms
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonRR View Post

Well no shit, but you're not a girl running your first Novice track day. She won't notice the difference

and yeah I am 110% with ya Dave, as I think the Club is diminished from his absence, and gained nothing from what we retained... She could PM MRP, and he could probably put them in contact, as Chris will have everything including a kitchen sink with him.

Last edited by Paragon; 06-17-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Paragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2012, 11:50 AM   #9
Socks2Bed

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Blue FZ6, 05 CRF 50
Well alrighty then... Moto there are enough people that can still help out w advice... pm aubs she will help ya...
Socks2Bed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2012, 12:08 PM   #10
MRP

Motorcycle(s): '03 Gixxer 750 (Track), '01 CBR600 F4i (Street)
Send a message via MSN to MRP Send a message via Yahoo to MRP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
Well no shit, but you're not a girl running your first Novice track day. She won't notice the difference

and yeah I am 110% with ya Dave, as I think the Club is diminished from his absence, and gained nothing from what we retained... She could PM MRP, and he could probably put them in contact, as Chris will have everything including a kitchen sink with him.
Chris will be there as a coach... Mojo should also be there for that track day. This will be probably one of the only weekends I will not be there.

Motochica, you should PM MOJO and ask her if she could be your guide. I am sure she would be more than glad to help out.
MRP is offline   Reply With Quote